The Swiss Nurse
On Sale: 2023-04-18
Format: Downloadable audio file
The true story of an astonishingly brave woman who saved hundreds of mothers and their children during the Spanish Civil War and WWII.
About the Book
Based on the true story of an astonishingly brave woman who saved hundreds of mothers and their children during the Spanish Civil War and World War II.
Elisabeth Eidenbenz left Switzerland in 1937 to aid children orphaned during the Spanish Civil War. Now, her work has led her to France, where she’s determined to provide expectant mothers and their unborn children a refuge amid one of the worst humanitarian crises of the twentieth century.
Desperate to escape the invasion of Franco’s Fascist troops, Isabel Dueñas becomes one of many Spanish patriots fleeing their country. She leaves behind her husband as he fights for democracy, and she seeks asylum in a refugee camp across the border in France. Without adequate shelter, clean drinking water, or medical care, Isabel’s future looks bleak—until she meets Elisabeth.
When Germany invades Poland, an avalanche of humanity sweeps into France. In the cascade of crises that follow, Isabel and Elisabeth learn the cost and the unexpected joy of sacrifice.
Based on the true stories of refugees and the woman who risked everything to save them, The Swiss Nurse shares a message of love and strength amid one of history’s often overlooked conflicts.
- World War II historical fiction inspired by true events
- Book length: 85,000 words
- Also by author: Auschwitz Lullaby, Children of the Stars, Remember Me, The Librarian of Saint-Malo, The Teacher of Warsaw
- ISBN: 9781400236237
- ISBN 10: 1400236231
- Imprint: Harper Muse
- On Sale: 2023-04-18
- List Price: $24.99
- Publisher: Harper Muse
- Publication Date: 2023-04-18
- Category 1 : FICTION / Historical / World War II
- Category 2 : FICTION / War & Military
- Category 3 : FICTION / Biographical
- Category 4 : FICTION / Contemporary Women