Defend Us in Battle
The True Story of MA2 Navy SEAL Medal of Honor Recipient Michael A. Monsoor
On Sale: 2022-11-08
Format: Downloadable audio file
When US Navy SEAL Michael Monsoor sacrificed his life by stepping in front of a live grenade to save his comrades during Operation Iraqi Freedom, he inspired thousands around the world and reminded us that freedom is never free.
About the Book
On September 29, 2006, Michael Monsoor and three SEAL snipers watched vigilantly for enemy activity from their rooftop post in Ar Ramadi, Iraq. When a grenade thrown from insurgents bounced off Michael's chest, he could have escaped. Instead, he threw himself onto the live grenade, shielding his fellow soldiers from the immediate explosion. Michael died thirty minutes later, having made the ultimate sacrifice.
As George Monsoor (Michael's father) and Rose Rea show us in Defend Us in Battle, Michael had prepared for this selfless act all his life--a life that inspires us to have a similar generosity of heart. This fast-paced, compelling biography
- tells the true story of a quiet boy from California who achieved his dream of becoming a Navy SEAL and saved numerous lives throughout his deployment
- recounts how Michael's childhood of asthma and being bullied made him a staunch defender of justice and passionate about never quitting
- draws on interviews, military documents, and eyewitness accounts to detail Michael’s remarkable military career and devotion to God and others
- is perfect for readers of military biographies such as Unbroken, as well as for anyone eager to remember that this world still has heroes
In addition to the Medal of Honor, Michael received a Silver Star, a Bronze Star Medal, and the Purple Heart for his years serving his country. But his greatest legacy is in the hearts of those he inspired to live, and even die, for the sake of brotherly love.
Photos and award images are included in the audiobook companion PDF download.
'Defend Us in Battle is a powerful narrative about modern warfare and a tribute to Michael and his teammates. It is also an American family's story. The Medal of Honor is awarded for an act of such courage that no one could rightly be expected to underate it. Nothing in our SEAL training would have led Michael to do what he did. Yet for those of us who knew him, especially his teammates in Task Unit Bruiser, we were not surprised by what he did. His mother, Sally, and father, George, were his examples of love, selflessness, and service above self. It is the nurturing of our families that gives SEAL warriors courage. It is this dedication to ideals greater than self that gives us strength.'
'Michael 'Mikey' Monsoor's life and service will be an inspiration for generations. In Defend Us in Battle, George Monsoor and Rose Rea (with help from other friends and family) tell his story with vigor, verve, and heartfelt emotion. Their insight and devotion to the man and the country he selflessly served are evident on every page, providing a rare, intimate portrait of a hero.'
'As an unknown person once said, 'Someday when the pages of my life end, I know that my son will be one of the most beautiful chapters.' Defend Us in Battle does just that. The values instilled in Michael at an early age epitomize those held by his fellow Medal of Honor Recipients--courage, commitment, integrity, sacrifice, citizenship, and patriotism. The simple act of saving the lives of his brothers by sacrificing his own, while a moment in time, is the culmination of his life experiences--learning to overcome obstacles and injuries. He never gave up on his dream of becoming one of America's elite special operations units. Truly inspirational.'
- ISBN: 9780785290612
- ISBN 10: 0785290613
- Imprint: Harper Horizon
- On Sale: 2022-11-08
- List Price: $18.99
- Publisher: Harper Horizon
- Publication Date: 2022-11-08
- Category 1 : BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Military
- Category 2 : HISTORY / Military / United States
- Category 3 : HISTORY / Military / Veterans
- Category 4 : BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Historical