Pretty in Punxsutawney
On Sale: 2019-01-15
From author Laurie Boyle Crompton comes Pretty in Punxsutawney, the story of 17-year-old Andie who’s stuck repeating her first day at a new school over and over. Andie’s convinced she needs true love’s kiss to break the curse but instead discovers how a high school filled with cliques and misfits can find common ground despite their differences.
About the Book
A Groundhog Day meets Pretty in Pink mashup that tells the tale of a shy, introverted high school girl who must relive the first day of school over and over again until her first kiss can break the curse … she hopes.
Andie is the type of girl who always comes up with the perfect thing to say … after it’s too late to say it. She’s addicted to romance movies—okay, all movies—but has yet to experience her first kiss. After a move to Punxsutawney, PA, for her senior year, she gets caught in an endless loop of her first day at her new school, reliving those 24 hours again and again.
Convinced the curse will be broken when she meets her true love, Andie embarks on a mission: infiltrating the various cliques—from the jocks to the nerds to the misfits—to find the one boy who can break the spell. What she discovers along the way is that people who seem completely different can often share the very same hopes, dreams, and hang-ups. And that even a day that has been lived over and over can be filled with unexpected connections and plenty of happy endings.
Pretty in Punxsutawney:
- Addresses topical issues of self-discovery, navigating cliques, and ignoring stereotypes
- Is an homage to beloved 80s movies, such as John Hughes’ The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty in Pink
- Is the perfect gift for birthdays and high school or college graduation
- Will captivate young adult readers of all ages with its universal coming-of-age themes about struggling to fit in, navigating the tough high school years, first kisses, and first crushes
- 2020 YALSA Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
A fun take on a well-loved story, Pretty in Punxsutawney introduces us to Andie, a high school senior starting a new school who finds herself repeating the first day over and over, a la Groundhog Day. As the day keeps looping, Andie gets the opportunity to spend time with and learn about many of her new classmates. In seeing them as individuals, and not as just members of different social groups, Andie realizes that they are as similar as they are different.
Pretty in Punxsutawney is a solid commentary on looking past differences to find the similar threads that unite us all. Readers will find themselves cheering for Andie in her plans to bring together the different social groups in her high school. Filled with iconic '80s movie references, one epic nursing home party, and, of course, a pretty pink dress, Pretty in Punxsutawney will leave readers wanting to revisit their favorite old movies and hoping that just like in those movies, Andie, too, will get her own happy ending.
Pretty in Punxsutawney is a fun ride through iconic '80s movies and modern high school culture that will leave readers cheering for Andie to unite the school, break the loop, kiss the swoon-worthy boy, and find her happy ending.
- ISBN: 9780310762164
- ISBN 10: 0310762162
- Imprint: Blink
- On Sale: 2019-01-15
- Pages: 304
- List Price: $17.99
- Publisher: Blink
- Publication Date: 2019-01-15
- Category 1 : YOUNG ADULT FICTION / Romance / Contemporary
- Category 2 : YOUNG ADULT FICTION / Romance / Clean & Wholesome
- Category 3 : YOUNG ADULT FICTION / General
- Category 4 : YOUNG ADULT FICTION / Social Themes / Friendship
- Category 5 : YOUNG ADULT FICTION / Performing Arts / Film